English class and other things



Two weeks ago I started a small English class.  My idea was to use the class, something people were  interested in, as a way to serve the church in a practical way and get to know people in the process.  We are now half way through our one month course, and I believe we are accomplishing those goals.



My class started out as a mixture of adults, teenagers and children.  I had originally planned the class for adults and young adults, but allowed the children to enter as a concession.  Unfortunately, just a week into our time, most of the adults were pulled away by the tragic death of a family member in their home village.  Many went to the funeral, others were busy hosting family who had travelled out from the village.  Any money that would have gone to cover the small fee we charged for the class was needed elsewhere. (it was suggested to us by those in the church that charge a small fee to add formality to the course and avoid a hand-out mentality)



So, for the last two classes, only the children have attended.  Sunday was the first kids-only class.  Unknowingly, I had planned many games and learning activities, which happened to be perfect for my audience. It's the way I prefer to teach, but the adults seem to have a hard time with it.  I don't know if they seem childish, or they are embarrased to participate, or if it's just hard to get used to a new way of learning.  Either way, the children love my games and activities.



I had them running halfway across the church building as I named off objects in English, competing to reach the item first.  A fight insued, which I was forced to break up before we continued.  We pretended to make a bus, and they got on, got off, and paid the driver as I instructed them.  Then they drew the items we have learned while their classmates guessed what they were drawing.  They were so eager I had to keep reminding them to sit down and wait their turn.



As we were finishing, one of the children suggested that we pray to conclude the class.  I agreed.  I didn't know if they would expect to repeat my prayer, as they often do in school, so I told them that I would pray this time, and one of them next time.  As I prayed, several of them kneeled down and clasped their hands together.  Since this in not something done in the church, I am fairly sure they learned that in school from their catholic teachers.  (Religion is freely taught in the public schools here, both catholic and evangelical teachings are welcome.)



I was touched by their simplicity. Afterwards I asked them how they enjoyed the class.  They replied positively, One young girl came up to me afterward and said, "I thought the class was COOL."  Then they thanked me for teaching them, and asked me if I would teach Sunday school class as well.



I told them that we would see.  I am still not sure whether the church would like me to teach Sunday school or not, and whether it's something I should take on. 



But Alex and I have been throwing around the idea of offering an English class for children only.  It would be something unique that I could offer, a way to pass on something valuable to the children.  It would not impose on the role of the Sunday school teachers in the church, and could be an avenue to teach the children much more than just English.  I am also reminded that the great majority of Christians in the world make their decision to follow Christ during their childhood years.  So there is not better time to reach them then now.  We will see how the Lord leads.






Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Two halves of my life

Overwelmed.... in a good way.

Back in Oregon