Back in Oregon

Our long journey is over. Last night we pulled into my parent’s driveway here in Oregon. The only thing that’s left is a couple of days to rest, pack, and do last minute errands before we leave for Panama.

This has been an outreach of extremes.  We began with below zero temperatures and snowstorms in Idaho. We finished with 70 degree temperatures and sun in Arizona.  We went from sea level at our first outreach presentation on the coast of Oregon, and finished driving back through Arizona over 8,000 + altitude at the pass.  We walked through the desert where nothing taller than a sage brush or tumbleweed could grow, and then went to see the mighty redwoods, the tallest trees on earth.

But over all what will stay with me are the people. The Nez Perce and Hopi people, and the YWAMers and other missionaries who are giving their lives to serve these people. 

I will remember Stella, who taught us how to do beadwork. She told us that her grandmother taught her to always put in a red bead at a random place in the beadwork. That is to remind you that life isn’t perfect.  I will remember Alicia, who felt Alex’s prayer in her spirit, even though he was speaking in Wounaan, and whose family gave us elk meat and told us to come back again and visit them.

I will remember Yessy, boldly sharing her testimony and touching so many with her sincerity and tender heart.

I will remember Ruby, who made us laugh with her stories and was more generous with us than we could be with her.  I will take way with me the ear of blue corn that was given to me on Hopi Land. That corn will remind me of the Hopi, who plant their corn and then pray for rain.  I will try to remember that we all depend on God, and sometimes it’s good to not have a plan B.

I will take with me the beautiful sunsets and those who we shared them with.  Most of all I will remember that just as the blue corn that the Hopi so cherish can only grow where the climate is right, so God has planted his native children in different types of soil. Those children will not look just like God’s children from other lands, nor should they.  They will be uniquely Nez Perce, or Hopi, and will teach us all about aspects of God’s character that we had never known. 


Because we are one body. The foot can’t say to the hand, “I don’t need you.”  Neither can my culture say to the Native believers, “we don’t need you.”  We need each other.  Together we make one body.

Comentarios

Malana ha dicho que…
Beautifully said.
John Henry ha dicho que…
SO proud of you guys! Great job! It was wonderful to follow all that you did.

Entradas populares de este blog

Two halves of my life

Overwelmed.... in a good way.